Upper Happerton Farm is believed to date back at least to Napoleonic times when the original farm house was transformed into a villa by a Bristol merchant family seeking a country estate. The land is currently owned by the Wills Estate and the Smith family have farmed it for three generations.
The large barn in front of the house was built by David Smiths grandfather.
During world war II a German pilot crash landed after bombing Avonmouth and was taken back to the farm house for a ‘cup of tea’. He wrote after the war thanking all concerned for the courteous way he had been treated having believed Nazi propaganda about the ill treatment of prisoners in Britain.
Sunnyside Farm was a WWII anti aircraft site as can clearly be seen from the google map aerial photo above.
Happerton Farm is leased from the National Trust and is surrounded by National Trust woodland. The Farmhouse. Dated 1614, but is more probably C16.
Constructed of limewashed rubble the two storey building has a double Roman tiled roof, hipped at east end with brick stacks.
The off-centre door has a double ogee moulded surround with a pointed head.
To the left of the left window is a fragment of a blocked doorway with a chamfered 4-centred head.
Inside is a cross passage plan with hall and parlour to right and service room to left. The hall has a large fireplace with a cambered lintel which is hollow and ogee moulded; double ovolo moulded frame ceiling.
The parlour is unheated and has a transverse , chamfered beam.
Listing NGR: ST5222574592