CLICK on map or any picture for larger image
|St George’s Hall Gatehouse||St George’s Hall front entrance|
St Georges Hall, Easton in Gordano (Rectory circa 1820)
Listing NGR: ST5129775422
Ashlar; hipped slate roofs behind parapet, moulded cornice. 2 storeys. The main block is 3 bays the central bay is slightly advanced with the sides recessed: glazing bar sash windows in shouldered architraves; the centre first floor window has an arched head. Central tetra-style Ionic portico; panelled doors in moulded architrave. Lower 2 storey, 2 bay wing to left. Single storey, 4 bay conservatory to right: glazing bar sash windows; Tuscan columns and pilasters to doorcase.
stone staircase around three sides of the hall; cast iron balustrade.
St Georges Hall is currently the premises of Unit4 business software.
It is a large building set away from the road and accessed by a long drive.
It is set in large gardens consisting of large lawned areas, and wooded areas. As it is private property, the only traffic is of staff vehicles and the outdoor space is only used by employees.
In early records Easton in Gordano was known as Estone but for many centuries the village has also been known as St. George. It was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1085. The name Gordano comes from Old English and is descriptive of the triangular shape of the whole valley from Clevedon to Portishead, being the ablative singular of the Latinised form of Gorden meaning muddy valley.
After the Second World War a housing development grew up in the Lodway area and there are many residential homes there now.